Apple’s decision to lift restriction on third-party development tools has paved way for some notable changes in the world of iPhone application development. To start with, an alternative way of developing iPhone apps without having to write the code from scratch. As developers around the world rejoiced the decision, Packager apps came up with its package of promises. Adobe AIR for iOS Development is one such third party development tool, which has caught attention of many iPhone developers and with acceptance of Adobe’s Packager for iPhone, things have started to look brighter for flash developers. Before we discuss why Adobe Air is the next big thing for iPhone development, let us get acquainted with Adobe Air and Packager for iPhone.
“AIR, also known as Adobe Integrated Runtime, is a cross-operating system runtime that allows developers to use their existing web development skills to build and deploy Rich Internet Applications to the desktop.” And, Packager for iPhone is an important feature of Adobe Flash Professional CSS Software and AIR. It has enabled Flash developers to build and test iPhone Applications. This feature has enabled developers to reuse the existing codes written for ActionScript 3 real fast and efficiently. Then these codes are used to create native applications for iPhone. This means, now all your Flash applications can be converted to iPhone apps without having to write it from scratch. So, once the app is created, all you have to do is get it approved by Apple and put it on Apple Store!
These AIR applications are available for wide range of iOS devices including iPhone and iPad. AIR 2.5 has gone a step further to work for platforms compatible with Flash. This includes BlackBerry (Tablet), Android, and television. It will also work for accelerometers, cameras, microphones and more. However, Flash is not yet available for mobile browsers. Which means, you cannot run Flash content on your iPhone. It only allows iOS apps to be converted from Flash. It is going to be quite some time before you browse YouTube from your iPhone. Adobe is working with its industry partners to enable web browsing using Flash and run complete apps on AIR.
Adobe Air for iOS Development comes with its own set of advantages. Some of them are as follows:
- Automatic Updating: AIR comes with a brilliant feature like automatic updating of application whenever a user comes online.
- AIR enables the user to load, save application and related data on the computer itself.
- AIR has a notification system that allows two AIR applications running on the same system to communicate with each other.
- The SQL databases embedded into it can store all information locally.
- AIR supports Flash Player and it is but normal that AIR has rich support for multimedia, Vector animation, and Audio.
- If your aim is to create interactive and rich applications, Adobe AIR is one of the best possible choices to build the same.
Adobe Air for iOS Development has made the process of iPhone App Development India more interesting and fun for Flash Developers having already stepped into the world of Apple.