A business house, no matter if it is a small, mid-size, or large one, always has to have a clear idea about its basic needs. Be it a service-based company or a product-based business, ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) is a basic requirement of all organizations. If a company knows what exactly it wants from an ERP system, a custom ERP solution is best for it. Custom ERP development not only takes care of the specific requirements of an organization, but also enhances efficiency of the entire business cycle.
A misconception about custom ERP solutions
Many people would argue that developing custom ERP would cost higher than an ‘off-the-shelf’ ERP solution, since it is built keeping in mind a company’s specific requirements. This is nothing but a misconception. An ‘off-the-shelf’ ERP system is larger in size and it addresses all ERP solutions at a time. When you implement an ‘off-the-shelf’ ERP within your business, you will need some modification to be done on it to fit into your business requirements. So a second level development for customization would be needed. Moreover, there are added expenses of buying the software along with the customization and development fees.
Advantages of custom ERP solutions:
There are number of advantages of customized ERP over the packaged ERP solutions.
· It meets all your business requirements. You can side away the unwanted features of an ERP system, if you don’t want them in your business process.
· Custom ERP software is a least maintenance software.
· It is less expensive than packaged ERP tools.
· Custom ERP software can be easily implemented in modular format within an organization.
· It decreases the chances of risk related to cutover of big projects.
· Custom ERP system is based on your business strategies, so that you should not mold your business processes to fit in the ERP system.
· For those business processes, which are static, Custom ERP solution is best. For example, accounting ledger is a static process that does not drastically change with time. For these business tasks, custom ERP is ideal.
· Custom ERP software is supported by skilled developers. If you face any technical difficulty in implementing or functionality, the developers are ready with solutions.
Disadvantages of custom ERP development
For startups, implementing custom ERP solution would be a costlier idea, compared to a general packaged ERP. Many enterprises would not encourage the fact that their employees would mold the software according to their requirements. Packaged ERP solutions are receptive to modifications and changes, unlike custom ERP solutions, since they are built to meet some specific purposes. Packaged ERP solution is ideal for competitive environment. If competitive advantages exist, custom ERP solution is a big no-no for business houses.
To develop open source ERP for your specific business requirements and customize it, visit our enterprise application development company