The advent of mobile phones have made our life easier than before and thanks to the upgraded versions like that of iPhone, touch screen phones, Smartphones etc. that various mobile technologies are compiled into one device. With the high-end handsets like iPhone and touch screen Smartphones, the users can access all computing applications on the go from their mobile phones. With the introduction of Android, mobile technology has reached its next level. Mobile development for Android is mainly based on Java.
Android is the software that has introduced an operating system for mobile phones. It also comes with middleware and other key mobile applications. With its growing popularity, it is quite obvious that Android will soon surpass iPhone from marketing point of view. Developers, who want to stay in this busy and competitive market, must embrace Android mobile development. So far, more than 50000 Android mobile applications have already been developed for Android powered mobile phones.
There are three versions of Android operating systems available for different mobile applications:
· Android 1.5
· Android 2.0/2.1
· Android 1.6
Owned by Google and a group of nearly 65 mobile companies, Android offers a leeway to intervene into mobile application development. Android has given developers the facility to develop any Android mobile application on various platforms such as Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X.
A few things to remember: If you are an Android developer, you must keep a few points in mind before working on mobile development for Android.
· Android Apps must be incorporated with more than one application module. Generally, an Android application comes with various services, activities, broadcast receivers, and content providers.
· Each of these components should perform distinct roles.
· Each of these modules must be activated separately.
· Files should declare the components along with their requirements. For example, if the component requires a separate hardware configuration, it should be mentioned in the corresponding file.
· There are many non-code app sources such as layout, image and string files, which should be device-specific. For example, developers have to build separate layout files for various screen sizes.
Benefits of mobile development for Android: There is a trigger, called ‘User-friendliness’. The mobile technology that hits the trigger, will win the crown of popularity. Let’s check the advantages of Android enabled mobile phones over other handsets.
· Easier data transfer across different mobile networks is one of the main advantages of Android. There are GSM, Bluetooth, UMTS, EDGE, EV-DO, CDMA, and Wi-Fi services in Android to transfer data.
· Android powered phones offer separate libraries for 2D and 3D graphics. There are also a number of libraries for video, audio, and images.
· Android enabled phones have a wide number of features such as Touchscreen, Video Camera, accelerometer and magnetometer, and GPS.
· All the Android phones have IPC or Interprocess communication message passing facility.
· There is SQLite for storing data.
To know more about Android Development and its features, visit http://www.evontech.com/android-development.html.